Wednesday, August 13, 2014

North Coast Trail Hike: Day My Friend Arrives


Brian arrived mid-afternoon on his motorcycle on the ferry from Vancouver.  We put his bike into our garage and he spent time taking everything out of his carriers. I had emailed Brian my list of stuff about a week ahead of his arrival (everything I planned to take on the trip was weighed and itemized).   I was hoping that he would take my list, print it out, and then compare it with what he was bringing. He covered most of the floor of the garage with his gear, trying to figure out what he might still need, and trying to rearrange things into a pack.  We chatted while he did this.

Brian's Stuff for Backpack.  Some didn't make the final cut.
Before my friend arrives I weigh everything I am going to take and weigh up in the neighborhood of 45 pounds.  My hope was to only have 40 pounds.  He has purchased some freeze dried foods for me that I have to add in -- I haven't figured it in to my total weight.  (I also forget to itemize the Green Smoothies my wife made up and dehydrated for me-- they are in the freezer until the day we leave).

We compare notes so that we don't take a bunch of duplicate stuff.

We ditch extra fire starter, one extra camp towel, an extra jersey, a pair of socks and a pair of longjohns and sweatpants.*  I also leave behind some Clif bars for my wife to snack on.  We still have a surprlus of food.

I feel excited and a little apprehensive.

There are so many unknowns for me and once you start the hike there is no turning back, you have to finish the entire 7 1/2 days in order to get picked up at the end on time.  I was a little apprehensive about no cell phone coverage anywhere on the trail and only two forest ranger stations on the route.  That area is known to be wet and muddy at anytime of the year, and foggy.

But in spite of that niggling anxiety-- we are jazzed!

* later I would regret having left the sweats behind



______________________________________________
Anything mentioned in this blog that is of a "health or medical nature" is the opinion and/or experience of the blogger and not an endorsement or a cure. Please see your trusted health professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment